The advantages of BPS-001 are as follows:
- Preclinical in vitro and animal studies showing efficacy against a number of different prostate cancer cell lines
- A favourable toxicity profile in several animal models where no toxicities observed at therapeutic doses of BPS-001
- Leeches in medical literature have had a favorable toxicity profile, which is an advantage over the highly toxic chemotherapy agents and radiation therapy.
- Selectively targets cancer cells while preserving normal cell growth
- Unique, multivalent mechanism of action as opposed to single target drug, which is an advantage over the currently approved androgen receptor inhibitors.
- Because of its pleotropic mechanisms of action, there is activity of BPS-001 against many cancers and other pathologies that have pathologic molecular signalling such as diabetes, wound healing and autoimmune diseases.
- Because of the known analgesic activity of leech saliva, BPS-001 has the potential to reduce pain and discomfort in patients with cancer and other diseases
- Potential for FDA/Fast Track/Expanded Access Approval